Browse Items (1493 total)

IMG_5590.jpg
The Tuscumbia Historic District encompasses a substantial portion of the city's 1817 street plan, including Spring Park, the North Commons, and the entirety of the Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District, which is itself listed on the…

5be5541d-94cf-461a-b99e-6c1059169668Original.pdf
Covering 160 acres and encompassing 678 properties, the Sheffield Residential Historic District reflects development in the city of Sheffield from its establishment in 1883 through the mid-20th-century. Like the Colbert County Courthouse Square…

The Washington Church was established in 1883; however, the present church building was not built until 1916. The building itself is a one room church, common in the rural south. The church is one of the few remaining that were built in the 19th…

The Creagh Family Cemetery is believed to have been established in 1826 after the death of the patriarch’s fourth son. Over the years, many Creagh family members were interred at the cemetery including the patriarch, Thomas Bevin Creagh. Mr. Creagh…

The Hope Well Church was established in 1864. The church was a foundation for the black community. Originally African-American and Caucasian-American congregants worshiped together in the time but over time African-Americans asked for a place to…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of County Route 14 and County Route 2, Waterloo, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "At this site from mid-January to mid-March 1865, Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the…

This historic marker is located on Cramer Way, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival…

This historic marker is located in front of Wesleyan Bell next to Wesleyan Hall on the UNA campus, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of N. Broadway Street and Mahogany Ave, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "This Twentieth century business and residential area was developed by John D. Weeden Jr. during the…

This historic marker is located at the entrance of Waterloo on Hwy 14, Waterloo, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river ports during the steamboat ear. In low~…

This historic marker is located on North Walnut Street near East Tuscaloosa Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national economic boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its…

This historic marker is located behind the Florence/Lauderdale Veterans Memorial on veterans Park Dr, Florence, AL.

The text on the marker reads: "The following men from Lauderdale County made the supreme sacrifice for our Nation during the War…

This historic marker is located on N. Pine Street at E Tuscaloosa St, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Episcopal services in Florence began in 1824. Rev. Thomas Armstrong Cook organized Trinity Episcopal Church in 1836. The…

This historic marker is located on Main Street, Waterloo, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Thousands of Cherokee Indians passed through Waterloo in the 1830s when they were forced by the U.S. government to move West on the "Trail of Tears".…

This historic marker is located on J.C. Mauldin Highway west of Poplar Street, Killen, Alabama.

The text on side one of the marker reads: "The area known as Killen in Lauderdale County, was settled in the early 1800s. In 1826, Joseph Mason was…

In the community of Green Pond in Bibb County, a complex of 4.5 acres houses the Green Pond Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. The church dates back from 1884. Behind the church building is a cemetery dating from the time of the construction. Over 650…

This historic marker is located in Florence's Walk of Honor located in River Heritage Park.

The text on the marker reads: "In 1934, T.S. Stribling won the Pulitzer Prize for The Store, part of a trilogy set in Florence. His story "Birthright" was…

This historic marker is located near the UNA Football Practice Field on Pine Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "The University of North Alabama became the first school in the history of NCAA scholarship football to win three…

This historic marker is located at Hightower Pl., Florence, Alabama.

The text on side one of the marker reads: "Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of S. Court Street and Dr Hicks Blvd., Florence, Alabama.

The text on side one of the marker reads: "The American Legion, an organization of U.S. War Veterans was founded in Paris, France, March…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of Florence Boulevard (U.S. 43) and Sweetwater Avenue, Florence, AL.

The text on the marker reads: "Home of Major John Brahan, veteran of War of 1812, Major General, Alabama Militia, who owned…

DSCN8976.JPG
One of the oldest surviving domestic structures in Tuscumbia, the John Daniel Rather House, or Locust Hill, was built in 1823 for planter William Hooe and his wife, Catherine Winter. It was occupied briefly during the Civil War by Union troops under…

IMG_5623.jpg
Preuit Oaks is a plantation complex once owned and operated by W. Richard Preuit, one of the most successful cotton planters of the so-called "Town Creek Triangle" area during the mid-19th century. Family tradition holds that the central cottage was…

IMG_5457.jpg
According to church tradition, Leighton's Old Brick Presbyterian Church building was constructed in 1828, although architectural evidence suggests a later date during the 1830s or 1840s. Its distinctive, kiln-fired exterior bricks and sun-dried…

This historic marker is located on Church Road (County Road 30) west of Old Jackson Highway (County Road 61), St Florian, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "In 1872, Catholics of German ancestry settled on the former Wilson Plantation and…

DSCN8988.JPG
The Oaks, also known as the Abraham Ricks Plantation, is actually two houses in one: a one-and-a-half story log building connected to a two-story late-Georgian plantation home by a one-story dining room. The log structure, which predates its Georgian…

Felix_Grundy_Norman_House.jpg
Situated on the corner of North Main Street and Second Street in Tuscumbia, the Felix Grundy Norman House is one of the few single-story Greek-revival-style cottages remaining in a city where such structures were once commonplace. The house was…

IMG_5481.JPG
The Nitrate Village No. 1 Historic District encompasses 112 family homes, two school buildings and one apartment complex, situated near the south bank of the Tennessee River in Sheffield, Alabama. The village was constructed in 1918 to house workers…

FRONT_(SOUTH)_AND_EAST_SIDE_-_G._W._Carroll_House,_801_East_North_Commons,_Tuscumbia,_Colbert_County,_AL_HABS_ALA,17-TUSM,8-2.tif.jpg
Johnson's Woods in Tuscumbia is one of the earliest surviving examples of Classical Revival-style architecture in the Tennessee Valley, and is among "the best preserved collections of mid-nineteenth-century agricultural architecture" in the state of…

IMG_5587.jpg
The 22 buildings which comprise Tuscumbia's Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District reflect a broad range of architectural styles, including Victorian, Gothic, and Greek Revival. The most distinctive architectural example is the courthouse…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of Old Jackson Hwy and Co Rd 47, St. Florian, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "In 1872, Father A. J. Houser, Director of the Homestead Society of Cincinnati, Ohio founded St. Florian. He…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of Burrell Street and White Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church…

This historic marker is located on Seymore Avenue, Florence, Alabama.

The text on side one of the marker reads: "The Southern Female University located in this vicinity was created in 1889 by Florence businessmen led by Judge William B. Wood and…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of North Court Street and East Mobile Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Charles Morton Southall (1864-1952) constructed this Commercial Italianate style building in 1900…

This historical marker is located on South Magnolia Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "This area is the military cemetery for Confederate Soldiers. After an 1862 skirmish in the streets of Florence, it was used to bury…

Coby Brubaker.jpg
Coby Hall is located on North Court Street in Florence, Alabama.

Funds for its purchase in 1990 were provided by Mr. David Brubaker. Brubaker purchased what was then Irvine place for $375,000. At a ceremony on December 7, 1990 Brubaker donated the…

This historic marker is located on N Seminary St., Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Named for the O’Neal family which produced two Alabama governors and for seminary the street on which Synodical Female College was located, the…

This historic marker is located in front of Florence Public Library between E. Tuscalossa and E. Tombigbee Sts., Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance…

This historic marker is located on North Main Street north of East Tuscaloosa Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Built in 1826 in the Spanish Revival architectural style, this is the first structure in Florence erected with…

23042r.jpg
Constructed by the Union Army in the summer of 1862 and expanded in 1864, using soldiers and freed slaves, Ft. Harker was built on a broad hill a quarter-mile east of town. It overlooked Crow Creek and was well within firing range of Stevenson’s…

In 1838, the Allen family arrived in Alabama in the area known as Lisman. The Allen family built one of the largest plantations in Choctaw County that continues to thrive to this day. Over the years the plantation expanded to over 8000 acres. The…

m-7853.jpg
Constructed in 1918, the Bridgeport Train Depot operated through the late 1960s and today is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It houses the Bridgeport Area Historical Association Museum. (Encyclopedia of Alabama)

Holy Rosary Catholic Church began as a mission church out of Saint Paul’s Cathedral. Mass was offered in the parishioner’s homes. Most of the parishioners worked in limestone quarries, iron ore mines, and iron manufacturing plants. In 1889, Maclin…

3a274eed-40ad-4a19-bc13-1460034d7a5eOriginal.pdf
The E.L. Newman Lustron House is a prefabricated one-story home in Sheffield built in 1949 by the Lustron Corporation. The house is one of eleven surviving Lustron homes in the state of Alabama, and one of five in the Shoals area, for which it once…

IMG_5461_cr.jpg
The modest exterior of the one-story concrete structure at 3614 North Jackson Highway stands in deceptively stark contrast to the majesty of the music produced therein. The building once housed the legendary Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, where some of…

West_side_elevation_of_the_John_Johnson_House_JohnsonReeder_house.jpg
The John Johnson House, commonly referred to as "The Green Onion," is a 19th-century Tidewater-style cottage near Leighton in Colbert County. It is one of four double-square Tidewater cottages in the state of Alabama, and one of three among those…

IMG_5582.jpg
A one-and-a-half-story "Southern Viriginian" frame cottage located at 300 West North Commons in Tuscumbia, Ivy Green is significant for being the birthplace and childhood home of Helen Keller. It was during her infancy at Ivy Green that illness…

DSCN8981.JPG
The John and Archibald Christian House in Tuscumbia was built during the 1830s as a residence for two brothers from Virgina, who, like many natives of the Piedmont region during the mid-19th-century, relocated to North Alabama. It is particularly…

Chambers-Robinson_House_2012-09-29_17-19-50.jpg
The Chambers-Robinson House at 910 Montgomery Avenue in Sheffield is a two-story, Queen-Anne-style frame house, built in 1890 as a residence for Judson G. Chambers and his wife Mary. In 1898, the couple sold the home to Charles and Dora Robinson,…

0fc9f8e2-ca4e-4e82-a132-ff79d190ff10Original.pdf
Built between 1924 and 1930, the Clyde Carter House is a Spanish-Eclectic-style cottage located in what was (briefly) the Bernard Subdivision of Ford City. With its "fanciful," European-influenced design and stuccoed walls, the house stands out…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2