Hope Well Church
Wilcox County, Furman, Religion, Christianity, Church building, African-American, Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage
The Hope Well Church was established in 1864. The church was a foundation for the black community. Originally African-American and Caucasian-American congregants worshiped together in the time but over time African-Americans asked for a place to worship for themselves and Hope Well was established. The church was originally known as Hope Well AME Zion. During this time, the Hope Well Burial Ground and the Hope Well School were also established. Architecturally, the church has twin towers, an element typical of early twentieth-century rural black churches. Hope Well Church was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1999.
Makayla Melvin; MSM0041@auburn.edu