Browse Items (27 total)

  • Tags: Alabama

Hackleburg Oral History Project.pdf
On April 27, 2011 the community of Hackleburg, Alabama was hit by a EF-5 tornado. Eighteen members of the community lost their lives. The downtown's major businesses, resturants, police and fire departments, and town hall were destroyed. The Wrangler…

200536127ac.jpg
A letter from Kate to Unknown, concerning the state of the family and family friends. Cousin Henry, Sally, and Carrie are mentioned. Kate continuously mentions her sadness at the recipient's absence. 3 handwritten pages

20053689ae.jpg
In the letter Blake recounted his meeting with a few girls from Newberry District and his travels with two ladies. He told Jones of all the people getting married and where they were from and also of some deaths and illnesses. He ended the letter…

MZ000111.MP3
Oral interview of Leon Vandiver recorded by Keith S. Hebert in December 2016 for the Montgomery County Historical Society as part of their Alabama Bicentennial commemorations. The interview was conducted at Vandiver's home in Montgomery, Alabama. To…

6da9472b46b2b6561f6b15784dfc3d51 (1).jpg
The building that currently houses the North Alabama Abstract is known as the Clark Building. It is a part of the Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District. The district is part of the National Register of Historic Places. This brick…

d5959b169aeaeeed5ffd1bd975b959f2.jpg
The Helen Keller Birthplace, known as Ivy Green is the original home and grounds of Helen Keller's family. The home was built in 1820. It is a modest, white clapboard, Southern style home of Virginia cottage construction. There are four large rooms…

church tuscumbia.jpg
The North Alabama Hallelujah Trail features thirty one churches that are at least 100 years old, still stand on their original sites, still hold services, and are accessible to the public.

The churches represent various architectural designs, use…

20151205_145349.jpg
The Coldwater Stagecoach Stop is located 302 South Dickson St. in Tuscumbia. It was built as early as 1815 as a small log cabin. It served as a stagecoach stop on the Jackson Military Road and is believed to be one of several cabins operated as a…

AL Music Hall of Fame.jpg
The Alabama Music Hall of Fame, located off Hwy 72 in Colbert County, on the outskirts of Tuscumbia is the hall of fame that honors Alabamians who have made major contributions to American music. Over the years, it has provided an educational…

20151119_164052.jpg
The Sheffield Public Library is one of five public libraries in Colbert County. It is located at 316 N. Montgomery Ave. From Hwy 72 in Muscle Shoals, take E 2nd St. until N Montgomery Ave, then go north. The library is on the corner of N Montgomery…

library.jpg
The Muscle Shoals Public Library is located at 1918 East Avalon Avenue in Muscle Shoals, Colbert County, next to Muscle Shoals High School. It contains approximately 52,000 volumes and offers DVD's, audiobooks, computers, and free wifi to the public.…

617a18d4bac6130afe61d4075ecd73dd.jpg
The Leighton Public Library is located at 8740 Main Street in Leighton, Colbert County, just off Old Hwy 20. If heading east from Muscle Shoals on Hwy 72, turn left on County Line Road which turns into Leighton's Main Street. Besides 6,300 books, the…

43034b8255e056795f0bb6383e3f11db.jpg
The Tuscumbia Railroad Historic Depot, located at 204 W. 5th St. in downtown Tuscumbia is a fully restored museum based on how it was when it was built in 1888. The museum displays train memorabilia, interactive train simulators, telegraph…

20151123_161348.jpg
“Pathways: Walk through the History of Muscle Shoals” is a corridor of historic displays in the Muscle Shoals City Hall. It covers the history of the city of Muscle Shoals, the Wilson Dam and Lock, and Muscle Shoals Music with exhibits of…

Library-Cherokee-AL-1024x744.jpg
The Cherokee Public Library is located on Church Street in downtown Cherokee, Colbert County. If heading west from Tuscumbia on Hwy 72, turn right on Main Street, cross the Old Lee Highway and the railroad, turn right on First Street, then take the…

20151205_133123.jpg
The Franklin House was one of Tuscumbia's early great landmarks.

Colonel Robert Ransom moved to Tuscumbia from Tennessee and began construction of a hotel on the southeast corner of 5th and Water Streets. The Franklin House's grand opening of this…

262ae99bd988d4af3abf2d4ac8d22443.jpg
This structure was completed in 1839 on the northeast corner of 5th and Main Streets. John L. McRae was in involved in its construction. It was a three story brick building and competed with the Franklin House with its livery stable located just…

ee3f15e83258b46adffaa30f612ba72f.jpg
This building was built in 1833. It was originally known as "The Railroad Hotel." and later as "The Major Pope Railroad Hotel." The word railroad was added because the hotel became a popular resting place for rail travelers even before the Civil War.…

Old Opera House.jpg
In 1835, William Young and his brother Isaac Smoot, a contractor, bought a lot on what is today the corner of Fourth and Main Streets in Tuscumbia for the purpose of opening a carriage factory. They constructed a large red brick building with a porch…

5867ff06eaec2089e05867a833ea0e7f.jpg
The building originally known as G & J Sutherland's Store is the only remaining building of Mechanic's Row in Tuscumbia and is the oldest known commercial building in the State of Alabama. Thomas Keenan, David Deshler, J.M. Moore, Dr. Wharton, James…

4858759597_9986c2f3f6_o.jpg
Looking west towards the old Union Station train shed in Montgomery, Alabama

Depot_Browns_AL_nd003.jpg
This photograph depicts Browns, Alabama's train station. Browns, Alabama is an unincorporated town in Dallas County, Alabama.

Depot_Auburn_1971.jpg
The Auburn, Alabama train depot undergoing renovation in 1971.

Depot_Auburn_1899006.jpg
This photograph depicts passengers at the Auburn, Alabama train depot in 1899.

Depot_Loachapoka_1914_Feb_24005.jpg
This photograph of Loachapoka Alabama train depot was taken on February 24, 1914.

Depot_Auburn_c1900001.jpg
This photograph is of the Auburn, Alabama Railroad Depot around 1900. The Depot burned down in 1904.

about_rbd_sm.jpg
By the late 1950s, Alabama Polytechnic Institute’s Carnegie Library exceeded its storage capacity. The Board of Trustees recognized the immediate need for a larger facility, and in the early 1960s the university planned the construction of a major…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2