Browse Items (24 total)

  • Tags: Lee County

Franklin_Yarbrough_Jr_Store_Beulah_Alabama.JPG
Franklin Yarborough, Jr. Store was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1989.

cooking.jpg
Annual festival celebrating local food, music, and crafts.

http://www.leecountyhistoricalsociety.org/fair/index.html

dulcimers0809.jpg
Annual festival organized by Lee County Historical Society celebrating old-time music, storytelling, dance, food, and crafts.

http://www.leecountyhistoricalsociety.org/leecountygathering/main.html

1280px-Lowther_House_Complex_Smiths_Station_Alabama.JPG
The Lowther House Complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 16, 1993. The Lowther House Complex is located in Smiths Station, Lee County.

1280px-Jenkins_Farmhouse_Dupree_Alabama.JPG
The Jenkins Farm House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 15, 2008. The house is located in Dupree, Lee County, Alabama.

Ebenezer_Baptist_Chuch.jpg
Ebenezer Baptist Church was the second African-American church in the city of Auburn. The congregation was formed in 1868 and construction completed on the building in 1870. Ebenezer served as the primary member of the Auburn District Association,…

14 Arkal Automotive USA, Inc. at Innovation Drive_Riley Street.JPG
This manufacturing company produces automotive components. It is the first US based manufacturing operation for the Israeli owned Arkal company. This business opened in 2012 and still operates today. The Auburn branch of Akral is located at 2490…

Farmers Week 1929
Originally built as the Auburn Masonic Female College chapel in 1846, the building that became known as Langdon Hall stood on the corner of Gay and Magnolia Street near the current site of Auburn Bank. As the oldest building in Auburn, it served as…

Auburn Female Institute.jpg
Auburn’s first post-Civil War public school, possibly founded as early as 1870, was actually a women’s school. Auburn Female Institute was located on Tichenor Avenue. Under Principal George W. Duncan, Auburn Female Institute offered instruction…

Auburn Masonic Female College.jpg
In the early 1850s, Colonel Nathaniel Scott petitioned Auburn’s local Masonic lodge (Auburn Lodge #76) to sponsor a female educational center in town. In 1853, Auburn Masonic Female College became the town’s first women’s educational…

William F Slaton.jpg
In 1857, this institution opened on the corner of what is now Tichenor Avenue and North Gay Street. Slaton’s Academy functioned as a preparatory school for young men pursuing admission to East Alabama Male College. William F. Slaton, a local…

Auburn Methodist School.jpg
Judge John Harper led a party of Methodists to the future site of Auburn, Alabama in late 1836. The next year, members the new community collaborated to erect a log Methodist church, located on the corner of modern-day East Magnolia Street and South…

Southern_Union_SCC_Opelika_Campus.jpg
Southern Union State Community College began its institutional life as Bethlehem College on June 2, 1922. John M. Hodge, a Wadley banker, donated forty acres to the Southern Christian Convention of Congregational Christian Churches as a site for the…

bibb_graves_amphitheatre.JPG
Alabama Polytechnic Institute built the Graves Center – actually a complex of thirty cottages, an amphitheatre, a large dining hall, and a brass bust of New Deal era governor Bibb Graves – piecemeal throughout the 1930s. The complex of 30 Greek…

alumni gymnasium.jpg
Irritated by the state’s flat refusal to fund a gymnasium for Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College, Tom Bragg, the president of the Auburn Alumni Association, solicited funds from Auburn graduates all over the country. In February 1916,…

aus-hayley-center-100927jpg-18a66d21e8b2af9d_large.jpg
The largest building on Auburn University’s campus, the Haley Center is capable of accommodating 8,000 students at any given moment. The labyrinthine, 357,000-square-foot structure includes four quadrants centered around a central ten-story tower,…

about_rbd_sm.jpg
By the late 1950s, Alabama Polytechnic Institute’s Carnegie Library exceeded its storage capacity. The Board of Trustees recognized the immediate need for a larger facility, and in the early 1960s the university planned the construction of a major…

marymartin.jpg
The institution that would come to be known as Auburn University’s first library operated out of three rooms on the second floor of William J. Samford Hall. These rooms quickly became overcrowded with an excessive amount of volumes. In 1908, Andrew…

GXUQ_Samford1_DL.jpg
Erected in 1888 on the foundation of Old Main Hall (which burned down in 1887), William J. Samford Hall is one of Auburn University’s most easily recognizable buildings. Bruce and Morgan Architectural Firm fashioned the four-story Italianate-style…

Boykin Street Elementary.jpg
Auburn's first public elementary school that serviced only African-American students was founded in 1951, when it also briefly functioned as a junior high school. Boykin Street Elementary remained the institution for Auburn’s African-American…

Auburn Junior High.jpg
From 1931 to 1966, Auburn’s white middle (and elementary) school students operated under the aegis of Auburn High School at 332 East Samford Avenue. During this period, the sub-institution was known as Auburn Grammar School. When Auburn High School…

JF Drake.jpg
Auburn’s last exclusively African-American public high school was founded in 1957. J.F. Drake High School was named after Dr. Joseph Fanning Drake, and Auburn native who went on to become the president of Alabama A&M College in Huntsville. In 1968,…

Auburn University.jpg
Established by charter in 1856 as East Alabama Male College, the academic institution that would come to be known as Auburn University was founded ten years before Lee County’s inception. Local residents, such as John Bowles Glenn, the pastor of…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2