Historic Businesses; Historic Buildings; Colbert County; Alabama
This structure was completed in 1839 on the northeast corner of 5th and Main Streets. John L. McRae was in involved in its construction. It was a three story brick building and competed with the Franklin House with its livery stable located just north of the hotel on Main Street. Fire destroyed the inside of the building in the early 1950s and the third story was not rebuilt when the bulding was restored. The building still stands today, but is not a hotel.
Jacob Grandstaff, University of North Alabama
The Heritage of Colbert County. Clanton, AL: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1999, 8.
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey
November 27, 2015