Browse Items (9 total)

  • Tags: Tuscumbia

Postcards091.jpg
Big Spring was once a popular baptizing place for people in the area. It often flooded and was home to many grazing animals. Many pictures exist of the spring before it was controlled. The site is now used for hosting festivals for the city of…

d5959b169aeaeeed5ffd1bd975b959f2.jpg
The Helen Keller Birthplace, known as Ivy Green is the original home and grounds of Helen Keller's family. The home was built in 1820. It is a modest, white clapboard, Southern style home of Virginia cottage construction. There are four large rooms…

church tuscumbia.jpg
The North Alabama Hallelujah Trail features thirty one churches that are at least 100 years old, still stand on their original sites, still hold services, and are accessible to the public.

The churches represent various architectural designs, use…

20151205_145349.jpg
The Coldwater Stagecoach Stop is located 302 South Dickson St. in Tuscumbia. It was built as early as 1815 as a small log cabin. It served as a stagecoach stop on the Jackson Military Road and is believed to be one of several cabins operated as a…

AL Music Hall of Fame.jpg
The Alabama Music Hall of Fame, located off Hwy 72 in Colbert County, on the outskirts of Tuscumbia is the hall of fame that honors Alabamians who have made major contributions to American music. Over the years, it has provided an educational…

43034b8255e056795f0bb6383e3f11db.jpg
The Tuscumbia Railroad Historic Depot, located at 204 W. 5th St. in downtown Tuscumbia is a fully restored museum based on how it was when it was built in 1888. The museum displays train memorabilia, interactive train simulators, telegraph…

20151121_092811.jpg
The Tennessee Valley Art Association was incorporated in 1964 in order to create an art museum and develop public programming related to the arts. The Tennessee Valley Art Center was constructed in 1972 on property provided by the city of Tuscumbia.…

20151205_133123.jpg
The Franklin House was one of Tuscumbia's early great landmarks.

Colonel Robert Ransom moved to Tuscumbia from Tennessee and began construction of a hotel on the southeast corner of 5th and Water Streets. The Franklin House's grand opening of this…

5867ff06eaec2089e05867a833ea0e7f.jpg
The building originally known as G & J Sutherland's Store is the only remaining building of Mechanic's Row in Tuscumbia and is the oldest known commercial building in the State of Alabama. Thomas Keenan, David Deshler, J.M. Moore, Dr. Wharton, James…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2