Browse Items (1493 total)

Located in Beauregard along Lee Road 136.

Coordinates: 32.525138, -85.3018877

Located in Beulah along Lee Road 279.

Coordinates: 32.702633, -85.2027186

Located in Auburn at South Dean and Old Mill Road.

Coordinates: 32.6037457, -85.4646708

Located in Beulah along Lee Road 252.

Coordinates: 32.6862443, -85.2496645

Located Beauegard along Estate Drive.

Coordinates: 32.5731914, -85.4252251

Located in Loachapoka along Ensminger Road

Located in Opelika along Frederick Road.

Coordinates: 32.6265232, -85.3957799

Located in Loachapoka along County Road 652.

Coordinates: 32.6243002, -85.6110637

Located in Smiths Station along Lee Road 254.

Coordinates: 32.648746, -85.174384

Located in Loachapoka along East Farmville Road.

Coordinates: 32.665104, -85.4896719

Located on Talladega Street.

Coordinated: 32.6331897, -85.3955022

Located in Beauregard along Gullatt Road.

Coordinates: 32.4843058, -853391108

Located in Waverly along West Farmville Road.

Coordinates: 32.657355, -85.5232839

Located in Smiths Station along Lee Road 252.

Coordinates: 32.64917, -85.23134

Located in Bleeker along County Road 179.

Coordinates: 32.5945811, -85.1732725

Located in Auburn on Shug Jordan Parkway at Wire Road.

Coordinates: 32.5920792, -85.5043942

Located in Auburn along Moores Mill Road.

Coordinates: 32.5643029, -85.398002

Located in Parkers Crossroads, Alabama on Moores Mill Road.

Coordinates: 32.5576368, -85.3352222

Located in Beulah, Alabama on Lee Road 270.

Coordinates: 32.7129106, -85.17494

Located in Smiths Station along Lee Road 249 near Highway 379.

Coordinates: 32.5795822, -85.1127148

Located in Bleecker, Alabama on Lee County Road 240

Coordinates: 32.5195831, -85.2221628

Located in West Opelika on Highway 431 (Lafayette Parkway) between Sougahatchee Creek and Chambers County Road 290.

Coordinates: 32.7425, -85.42333

James Henry Lane Home
The Lane House was built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Streets in Auburn. It was the residence of several prominent figures in the history of Auburn University. The home was leased in 1873 by Agricultural and Mechanical College of…

WilliamJSamford.jpg
When the East Alabama Male College opened its doors in 1859, William James Samford was one of the first eighty students to enroll. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Samford enlisted as a private in the Confederate Army where he was soon promoted…

A professor of natural science and one of the original trustees of the East Alabama Male College, he also taught chemistry and developed a “Prophylactic Fluid” which was widely used as a disinfectant and antiseptic by Civil War surgeons and…

James Ferguson Dowdell
James Ferguson Dowdell served during the Civil War as the organizer and commander of the 37th Alabama infantry regiment. After the war, he assumed the presidency of the East Alabama Male College from 1866 to 1870.

Henry Clay Armstrong was a student at the East Alabama Male College prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. After becoming a lawyer, he enlisted and became a captain in the Confederate Army where he served until the end of the war. During…

William Lowndes Yancey
Before the outbreak of the Civil War, Yancey was a fiery orator and politician who ardently defended slavery and secession. Representing Chambers County during the Alabama secession convention, he voted for the state to leave the Union and during the…

The emancipation of slaves, a widespread labor shortage, and the collapse of the Confederate financial system all coalesced to bring the cities of Auburn and Opelika to ruin at the end of the Civil War. It would be ten years before a new home would…

Lovell Rousseau
On July 10, 1864, Major General William T. Sherman ordered Major General Lovell Harrison Rousseau to depart from Decatur, Alabama with approximately 2,500 men. Their goal was to sever the Montgomery and West Point railroads - a vital link for…

Old Main
After the state awarded East Alabama Male College its charter on February 7, 1856, the Board of Trustees set about securing funds to build an administrative and educational building. The trustees initially allocated $25,000 for the facility, but the…

Formerly known as the city of Girard, Phenix City, Alabama (along with Columbus, Georgia) was the location of one of the last land battles of the Civil War. On April 16, 1865, Bvt. Major General James Harrison Wilson swept through Auburn and Opelika…

The city of Opelika, Alabama was incorporated on February 9, 1854. Because of the many rail lines that snaked through the city, warehouses were built during the war to store cotton and other goods. When General Lovell Harrison Rousseau’s men stormed…

Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church
After the end of the Civil War, newly freed African-American men and women constructed Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church on what is today known as Baptist Hill, skirting East Thach Avenue. Lonnie Payne, a white land owner, deeded the property to a…

Sunny Slope Present Day
This historic home that sits on what is now South College Street was the site where the 14th and 18th Alabama regiments were mustered in 1861. William F. Samford, known as the “Penman for Secession” for his nationally published diatribes on…

Near the modern-day Auburn Bank, a boulder imprinted with a plaque commemorates the raising of the first Confederate flag in Auburn by student Betty Dowdell on March 4, 1861 — the same day that Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as the 16th President of…

Auburn Train Depot
In February 1861, president-elect Jefferson Davis rode a train from his plantation in Mississippi to Atlanta and then to Montgomery, Alabama for his inauguration as president of the Confederacy. On February 16, at the Auburn train depot,…

Pebble Hill
Pebble Hill was the home of Nathaniel J. Scott and his family from 1847 to 1871. When Rousseau’s men swept through Auburn in July 1864, William Lowndes Yancey’s widow resided at Pebble Hill and Union soldiers looted the building because of her…

Confederate Monument at Pine Hill Cemetary
Pine Hill Cemetery has over 1,100 graves and contains a mass grave of at least ninety-eight unidentifiable Confederate soldiers who died in the makeshift hospitals in Auburn. In 1893, the Ladies Memorial Association erected a monument over the spot…

The Chapel
Founded as the Auburn Presbyterian Church in 1851, “the Chapel” was built by local slaves belonging to one of Auburn’s first residents, Edwin Reese. Like Langdon Hall and Old Main Hall, it served as a makeshift hospital from July 1864 through the end…

These two camps trained six groups of Confederate soldiers that included the local Auburn Guards as well as the 14th, 18th, 37th, and 45th Alabama infantry regiments.

Noble Hall Historical Marker
Wealthy planter Addison Frazer built the home in 1854 in a two-story Greek Revival style. Frazer owned over 100 slaves and grew cotton on 2,000 acres of land. He served on the board of the Auburn Masonic Female College and the East Alabama Male…

"The Lathe" at Auburn University
In the early years of the Civil War, the Lathe was constructed in Selma, Alabama to bore out 7-inch Brooke rifles that were the mainstay of Confederate ironclads and coastal fortifications stretched across the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. As Major…

Farmers Week 1929
Originally built as the Auburn Masonic Female College chapel in 1846, the building that became known as Langdon Hall stood on the corner of Gay and Magnolia Street near the current site of Auburn Bank. As the oldest building in Auburn, it served as…

Loachapoka Rosenwald School.jpg
In the spring of 1913, Loachapoka became the site of the first of over 5,300 rural black schools in the United States subsidized by Sears CEO Julius Rosenwald. Rosenwald, who grew up destitute, wanted to provide African Americans living in the South…

In March 1915, a group of concerned Auburn citizens held a fund-raising rally at Ebenezer Baptist Church aimed at financing a school for the town’s African-American children. In attendance were over three hundred African Americans and about a hundred…

Auburn Female Institute.jpg
Auburn’s first post-Civil War public school, possibly founded as early as 1870, was actually a women’s school. Auburn Female Institute was located on Tichenor Avenue. Under Principal George W. Duncan, Auburn Female Institute offered instruction in…

Auburn Masonic Female College.jpg
In the early 1850s, Colonel Nathaniel Scott petitioned Auburn’s local Masonic lodge (Auburn Lodge #76) to sponsor a female educational center in town. In 1853, Auburn Masonic Female College became the town’s first women’s educational institution.…

William F Slaton.jpg
In 1857, this institution opened on the corner of what is now Tichenor Avenue and North Gay Street. Slaton’s Academy functioned as a preparatory school for young men pursuing admission to East Alabama Male College. William F. Slaton, a local…

Auburn Methodist School.jpg
Judge John Harper led a party of Methodists to the future site of Auburn, Alabama in late 1836. The next year, members the new community collaborated to erect a log Methodist church, located on the corner of modern-day East Magnolia Street and South…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2