Browse Items (17 total)

  • Tags: School

200536182ac-2.jpg
P.M.B. Young writes a quick note to his mother about West Point, breakfast, and school. 2 handwritten pages.

200536128ab..pdf
A letter from a new friend from a young lady going to school in Charleston. She mentions a carriage breakdown in Greensboro. She has settled back in Charleston and is waiting for school to start back. She tells Miss Lou that she wishes all her…

At its opening in 1970, the current MSMS building housed grades nine through twelve.  These grades remained in this building until 1999 when the new high school was built.  Middle school students previously attended McBride Middle School (now…

In 1975, The Muscle Shoals Board of Education conducted a needs assessment in conjunction with the Alabama State Department of Education to determine the business and industry employment needs in the Shoals area.  As a result of the needs assessment…

The Howell & Graves Junior High School was designed by architect Harry J. Frahn and built in 1927 in the neoclassical style and the neo-Tudor Gothic tradition, symbolically associated with the Ivy League schools. Decorative brick work, which…

In December of 1938 the small school of Melrose, at the foot of Colbert Mountain, burned.  Interim classes were held at Colbert Heights Baptist Church while the new school located at the present site of Colbert Heights High School was built.  The…

In December of 1938 the small school of Melrose at the foot of Colbert Mountain burned.  Interim classes were held at Colbert Heights Baptist Church until construction was complete at the present site of Colbert Heights High School. The name was…

The history of Colbert County High School dates back to the year 1910. The school is located in the historic town of Leighton, Alabama, which is located in eastern Colbert County at the intersection of U.S. Highway 72 and Colbert County Highway 48.…

Cherokee High School was founded in 1925 as Cherokee Vocational High School as it was the first designated vocational school in Colbert County.  The original high school building was located where the current gymnasium stands. As the school…

New Bethel Elementary is part of the Colbert County School System. New Bethel was built on its present site in 1915. The original structure was a two room wood constructed building. The original building burned in February, 1924. A new building was…

The current Deshler High School was opened in 1950 on the site of the antebellum Winston plantation located across the Commons from the Deshler Stadium. In 1954, Tuscumbia added a cafeteria, auditorium, and Junior High building. In 1966, work began…

Deshler High School was built in 1924 on the location of the former Deshler Female Institute. The school lasted until 1950 when the city opened the present Deshler High School on the site of the antebellum Winston plantation located across the…

Deshler Female_AA5-1.jpg
The Deshler Female Institute was named in memory of Brigadier General James Deshler. The land and building, previously a home, was donated on December 6, 1871 by James Deshler’s father, Major David Deshler. David wanted to donate the land and home…

The Tuscumbia Female Academy was also known as the Tuscumbia Female Seminary. It was established around 1825-26, as a means of education for women. The Academy was destroyed by arson between 2 and 3 a.m. on the morning of September 13, 1868. It was…

LaGrange-College-Brochure.pdf
After LaGrange College moved to Florence in January 1856, a group of LaGrange citizens organized a college in the vacant buildings under the old name, LaGrange. To increase patronage, a military feature was introduced in 1857. The college reopened in…

LaGrange-College-Brochure.pdf
LaGrange College was located on LaGrange Mountain. In 1830 it became the first State chartered college in Alabama. Within two months of its opening, there were seventy students enrolled at LaGrange College. The school year lasted for ten months.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2