Browse Items (1388 total)

This refuge is located on the banks of the Tennessee River near Decatur. It provides a habitat for wintering birds and migrating ducks. The area is popular for birdwatching, wildlife observation, fishing, and hunting.

Wheeler National Wildlife…

Located in Auburn on Westview Drive.

Coordinates: 32.620134, -85.4952274

West Fraser operates a sawmill near Opelika located at 2100 Industrial Blvd., Opelika, AL.

This historic marker is located on Cramer Way, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival…

Wesleyan Hall - Omeka 17 - PH.pdf
Nashville architect Adolphus Heiman designed the Gothic Revival building and Zebulon Pike Morrison, a native of Virginia, who migrated to Lauderdale County constructed the building. Wesleyan Hall was reportedly his finest work. The three story…

wes.png
The C.S. Bell Compony in Hillsboro, Ohio manufactured the Wesleyan Bell. It is believed that the bell was put on top of Welseyan Hall when the college reopened as State Normal School in 1872. The last know account of the bell being rung occurred in…

This historic marker is located in front of Wesleyan Bell next to Wesleyan Hall on the UNA campus, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of…

image.jpg
Wendell Wilkie Gunn was the first African-American student to enroll at the University of North Alabama. He was also the first African-American student to earn a degree from UNA. Gunn went on to work in banking and became the vice president for Chase…

This historic marker is located at the intersection of N. Broadway Street and Mahogany Ave, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "This Twentieth century business and residential area was developed by John D. Weeden Jr. during the…

To reach Weaver Cemetery from Florence, head east on US 72 until half a mile beyond the Rogersville traffic light. Turn left onto Ezell Street and Weaver Cemetery will be on the right. The Weaver Cemetery is surrounded by the Civitan Cemetery.

A…

Located in Waverly along Patrick Street.

Coordinates: 32.7345746, -85.5730079

Located in Beauregard along County Road 38.

Coordinates: 32.4640287, -85.3524443

Wates Cemetery.
From Florence, take the Waterloo road and go to Waterloo. Then take the Pea Ridge Road for about seven miles, turn left at the first paved cross roads. Go for about three miles until the road comes to a "T", turn left and go almost
to the edge of…

Josiah Higgins.jpg
The city of Waterloo was shelled by Union gunboats in July 1862. Near the end of July 1862, older men from the town of Waterloo fired on the USS Cottage a transport vessel. The escorting gunboats returned fire, shelling the town. Union soldiers…

Early Baptists settlers in Waterloo, Alabama, met in a two-story log meeting house. This building was erected in 1845. The structure was 40 x 60 feet. During the week, children in the Waterloo community attended school in the church’s main floor,…

This historic marker is located at the entrance of Waterloo on Hwy 14, Waterloo, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river ports during the steamboat ear. In low~…

The Washington Church was established in 1883; however, the present church building was not built until 1916. The building itself is a one room church, common in the rural south. The church is one of the few remaining that were built in the 19th…

Warrior Mountains Trading Co. serves as the visitor center for Bankhead National Forest. Visitors can gain information on the surrounding area and rent canoes daily. Inside the company is a small Southeastern Native American Museum that contains…

To reach Warmack Cemetery from Rogersville, travel east on US 72 and turn on County Road 77. Continue for 1/2 mile on County Road 70. Warmack Cemetery is located on the right in a pasture. Judy Mason and Faye Page first surveyed this cemetery in…

Marion
Albert Turner, Jr.

Walston Cemetery
To reach the Walston Cemetery from Florence, Alabama, travel west on Alabama Highway 20 for 3.3 miles. Turn left (west) onto County Rd. 14 (Waterloo Rd.) and travel 5.4 miles to the community of Oakland, Alabama. Turn left onto County Rd. 15 and go…

This historic marker is located on North Walnut Street near East Tuscaloosa Street, Florence, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national economic boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its…

To reach Wallace Cemetery from Florence, head east on US 72 through Rogersville and turn north on County Road 165. The cemetery is located one mile down the road on the right. The cemetery is divided into two sections: Section A and Section B.

A…

The_Charlotte_Observer_Fri__Feb_7__1941_.jpg
Article appeared in Charlotte Observer on February 7, 1941. Reporter describes an upcoming Jim Crockett wrestling match where a masked heal is expected to be revealed by a hero.

TempleLumber_12-15.jpg
Another lumber company located in the downtown Florence area, W.E. Temple Company and Planning Mills was a fixture in Florence at the beginning of the twentieth century. W.E. Temple was well known for his architectural ability because he constructed…

IMG_3378.jpg
The W.C. Handy Statue is located in Wilson Park near downtown Florence. The statue depicts Florence native and "Father of the Blues," W.C. Handy playing his trumpet with sheet music of some of his most famous songs at his feet.

image.jpg
WC Handy was born in Florence in 1873. Handy became internationally known as the "Father of the Blues" and his songs include "Memphis Blues", "Beale Street Blues", and "St. Louis Blues". The log cabin in which Handy was born has been moved to 620…

William Christopher Handy, born in Florence, Alabama, on November 16, 1873 and is considered to be the “Father of the Blues.” His musical legacy is a prime part of the music culture in the Shoals region, especially in his home town of Florence.…

W.C. Handy Home and Museum.jpg
The W. C. Handy Home and Museum located in Florence is dedicated to telling the story of “Father of the Blues” William Christopher Handy’s life and musical career. The museum’s main building is the cabin Handy was born in. The home was in a…

In 1951, Florence city schools named an elementary school after its native son WC Handy. The school was considered very modern, was built during the administration of JW Powell, and had a faculty of twenty-six.

Hudson High School Sophomore
Age 16
Hospitalized at Good Sam for three days due to the teargas.
Recalls that lots of out of towners in Selma for the march.

Village One1.jpg
Village One, located in Sheffield, Alabama, is a subdivision of stucco homes built around 1918. The village was designed in the shape of a handbell. At completion, the village had 112 houses, two schools, and one large apartment building. (Maud…

Viking ships were marine vessels of particular designs used and built by the Vikings during the Viking Age. The boat-types were quite varied, depending on what the ship was intended for, but they were generally characterized as being slender and…

This historic marker is located behind the Florence/Lauderdale Veterans Memorial on veterans Park Dr, Florence, AL.

The text on the marker reads: "The following men from Lauderdale County made the supreme sacrifice for our Nation during the War…

Veteran's Memorial Sheffield.jpg
The residents of Montgomery Avenue and the citizens of Sheffield, Alabama have preserved several spaces for public use on the historic street. The Veteran's Park, which is maintained by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, is the home to several monuments…

RG457_025.pdf
This image is a watercolor painting of the Varner-Alexander House (also known as Grey Columns) in Tuskegee, Alabama done by an unknown student sometime between 1917 and 1942. The painting shows the front exterior of the house with its doors, windows,…

Stanley Rosenbaum One Act Play.jpg
Stanley Rosenbaum, who was a Florence, Alabama businessman, philanthropist, Civil Rights advocate, member of the University of North Alabama's English Department, and original owner of the Stanley Rosenbaum Frank Lloyd Wright House, was interested in…

President's Home.jpg
The President’s Home is located on the University of North Alabama campus. Ground was broken for this building in August 1939 when the university was under the name Florence State Teachers College. The Works Progress Administration completed the…

100_4366.JPG
The University of North Alabama’s Archives and Special Collections is located on the second floor of Collier Library on UNA’s campus. The archives’ primary goal is the collection and preservation of records regarding the University of North…

University of North Alabama was established in 1830 and for much of its history was an all-white institution. However, the University, then Florence State College, officially desegregated when Wendell Wilkie Gunn attended classes in 1963. The…

In October of 1896, the Alabama Girls’ Industrial School opened its doors to some 150 young women from all parts of the state. They had come to participate in a great experiment, in an innovation in education for Alabama. They had come to be…

USNP Number 2.jpg
The landscape photograph is of the summer time construction at the United States Nitrate Plant Number Two. The photograph shows several facilities under construction at the time and each are marked on the photograph.

The history of the nitrate…

opelika-aerial-2jpg-e85d25bf7aaf713b.jpg
After opening in 1963, this plant produced automobile tires for the BF Goodrich company. The business was forced to close in 2009 after shifting workforce to non-unionized labor. It was located at 1800 Crawford Rd., Opelika, AL.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2