Colbert County Alabama; Tuscumbia Alabama; African American history; African American home
Dr. A.W. Davis and his wife had a home built called Shady Dell in 1920. The home is located across from where his former office stood. Dr. Davis was the first black physician in northwest Alabama. He arrived in Tuscumbia in 1903. He practiced medicine from 1914 until 1942. While his office is gone there is a sign where it once stood. The house is located on 606 East 8th Street in Tuscumbia. The house is a two story building in the style of a Dutch Colonial Revivalist Craftsman home.
Sam Keiser, University of North Alabama
Application for the historic rehabilitation tax credit program
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey
December 1, 2015