Browse Items (1192 total)

One of the Five Lower Towns established by the Chickamauga Cherokees in 1782 under the leadership of Dragging Canoe. Territorial Governor William Blount reported to the Secretary of War in 1792 that: "Crow Town lies on the north side of the Tennessee…

Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-'24 completed…

In 1946, Robert E. Jones, Jr. was elected to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives to fill Alabama's 5th Congressional District seat vacated by John J. Sparkman's election to the U.S. Senate. Elected to 15 consecutive terms, 1946-1976,…

Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County Seat moved from Bellefonte to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868…

On long island near Bridgeport. One of the Five Lower Creek towns.

In a W.P.A. narrative, Thomas Cole recounted his time as a slave on the plantation of Dr. Robert Coles in western Jackson County. Thomas Cole was born in 1845 and ran away to join the Union army in 1861. After seeing combat at Chattanooga, Lookout…

m-2214.jpg
Sauta was a small Cherokee village established about 1784 on the north side of the Tennessee River near its confluence with North Sauty Creek. The August 13, 1828, issue of the Cherokee Phoenix newspaper includes a letter from an acquaintance of…

Emerson_Jimmy_Little_Brick.jpg
The structure known locally as "Little Brick" was built about 1855 during the railroad construction boom in Stevenson, Alabama. The property was purchased prior to the Civil War by Michigan native Walter Rosser who was in Stevenson working as a…

Emerson_Jimmy_Alabama_Agriculture_Ortmayer.jpg
Constance Ortmayer was born in New York City in 1902 and graduated from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts at Vienna, Austria. She returned to the United States in 1932 and was teaching art at Rollins College in Florida when she was commissioned to…

Michigan Central Station Detroit 3.jpg
Black and white photograph of Michigan Central Station in Detroit, Michigan, 2008.

RG457_017.pdf
This image is a watercolor painting of an American house located on the Stone-Young Plantation (also known as the Stone-Young-Baggett House) in Montgomery, Alabama done by Brendon A. Bond sometime between 1940 and 1942. The mansion was built in…

RG457_022.pdf
This image is a watercolor painting of the Alley House in Tuskegee, Alabama done by Eugene L. Bothwell in 1932. The house was built in 1846. The painting shows the front exterior of the house with its doors, windows, shutters, two story columned…

IMG_5522.jpg
Barton Hall, or Cunningham Plantation, is a two-story, Greek-Revival-style, wood-frame house near Cherokee in Colbert County. Its construction was initiated during the 1840s by Armstead Barton, whose father, Dr. Hugh Barton, had left Virginia during…

Belle_Mont_with_tree.jpg
A rare Southern example of architectural "Jeffersonian Classicism," the Belmont plantation house was completed in 1835 as a residence for Isaac Winston, a successful and wealthy planter who would, in his sixties, volunteer for service in the…

IMG_5508.jpg
Buzzard Roost is a site along the Natchez Trace Parkway near Cherokee, where farmer, trader, and Chickasaw tribal spokesman Levi Colbert is thought to have lived and operated a "stand," or inn, for travelers during the early years of the 19th…

IMG_5424.JPG
Built between 1924 and 1930, the Clyde Carter House is a Spanish-Eclectic-style cottage located in what was (briefly) the Bernard Subdivision of Ford City. With its "fanciful," European-influenced design and stuccoed walls, the house stands out…

Chambers-Robinson_House_2012-09-29_17-19-50.jpg
The Chambers-Robinson House at 910 Montgomery Avenue in Sheffield is a two-story, Queen-Anne-style frame house, built in 1890 as a residence for Judson G. Chambers and his wife Mary. In 1898, the couple sold the home to Charles and Dora Robinson,…

DSCN8981.JPG
The John and Archibald Christian House in Tuscumbia was built during the 1830s as a residence for two brothers from Virgina, who, like many natives of the Piedmont region during the mid-19th-century, relocated to North Alabama. It is particularly…

IMG_5582.jpg
A one-and-a-half-story "Southern Viriginian" frame cottage located at 300 West North Commons in Tuscumbia, Ivy Green is significant for being the birthplace and childhood home of Helen Keller. It was during her infancy at Ivy Green that illness…

West_side_elevation_of_the_John_Johnson_House_JohnsonReeder_house.jpg
The John Johnson House, commonly referred to as "The Green Onion," is a 19th-century Tidewater-style cottage near Leighton in Colbert County. It is one of four double-square Tidewater cottages in the state of Alabama, and one of three among those…

IMG_5461_cr.jpg
The modest exterior of the one-story concrete structure at 3614 North Jackson Highway stands in deceptively stark contrast to the majesty of the music produced therein. The building once housed the legendary Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, where some of…

IMG_5497.JPG
The E.L. Newman Lustron House is a prefabricated one-story home in Sheffield built in 1949 by the Lustron Corporation. The house is one of eleven surviving Lustron homes in the state of Alabama, and one of five in the Shoals area, for which it once…

IMG_5587.jpg
The 22 buildings which comprise Tuscumbia's Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District reflect a broad range of architectural styles, including Victorian, Gothic, and Greek Revival. The most distinctive architectural example is the courthouse…

FRONT_(SOUTH)_AND_EAST_SIDE_-_G._W._Carroll_House,_801_East_North_Commons,_Tuscumbia,_Colbert_County,_AL_HABS_ALA,17-TUSM,8-2.tif.jpg
Johnson's Woods in Tuscumbia is one of the earliest surviving examples of Classical Revival-style architecture in the Tennessee Valley, and is among "the best preserved collections of mid-nineteenth-century agricultural architecture" in the state of…

IMG_5481.JPG
The Nitrate Village No. 1 Historic District encompasses 112 family homes, two school buildings and one apartment complex, situated near the south bank of the Tennessee River in Sheffield, Alabama. The village was constructed in 1918 to house workers…

Felix_Grundy_Norman_House.jpg
Situated on the corner of North Main Street and Second Street in Tuscumbia, the Felix Grundy Norman House is one of the few single-story Greek-revival-style cottages remaining in a city where such structures were once commonplace. The house was…

DSCN8988.JPG
The Oaks, also known as the Abraham Ricks Plantation, is actually two houses in one: a one-and-a-half story log building connected to a two-story late-Georgian plantation home by a one-story dining room. The log structure, which predates its Georgian…

IMG_5457.jpg
According to church tradition, Leighton's Old Brick Presbyterian Church building was constructed in 1828, although architectural evidence suggests a later date during the 1830s or 1840s. Its distinctive, kiln-fired exterior bricks and sun-dried…

IMG_5623.jpg
Preuit Oaks is a plantation complex once owned and operated by W. Richard Preuit, one of the most successful cotton planters of the so-called "Town Creek Triangle" area during the mid-19th century. Family tradition holds that the central cottage was…

DSCN8976.JPG
One of the oldest surviving domestic structures in Tuscumbia, the John Daniel Rather House, or Locust Hill, was built in 1823 for planter William Hooe and his wife, Catherine Winter. It was occupied briefly during the Civil War by Union troops under…

5be5541d-94cf-461a-b99e-6c1059169668Original.pdf
Covering 160 acres and encompassing 678 properties, the Sheffield Residential Historic District reflects development in the city of Sheffield from its establishment in 1883 through the mid-20th-century. Like the Colbert County Courthouse Square…

IMG_5590.jpg
The Tuscumbia Historic District encompasses a substantial portion of the city's 1817 street plan, including Spring Park, the North Commons, and the entirety of the Colbert County Courthouse Square Historic District, which is itself listed on the…

IMG_5573.jpg
Tuscumbia merchant Clark T. Barton began building what would become the William Winston House around 1835. Several years later, in 1840, planter Winston purchased the still-unfinished house and oversaw its completion. The house remained in the…

IMG_5465.jpg
To reach Sheffield City Cemetery from Florence, follow US-72 across O'Neal Bridge into Sheffield. Go straight through the first traffic light and veer slightly right onto North Jackson Highway. After half of a mile, look for the cemetery on your…

IMG_5443.jpg
Mt. Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established by a faction which split from nearby Old Brick Presbyterian Church. The earliest burial in the cemetery is Josephine "Josie" Davidson Kerby (1870-1916). The RootsWeb source linked below contains a…

IMG_5454.jpg
The origins of Leighton's Old Brick Presbyterian Church can be traced back to 1812, when traveling minister Carson P. Reed staged a two-week revival in the Brick community. 45 men baptized during the revival were inspired to establish a congregation…

IMG_5536.jpg
On September 4, 1937, Tuscumbia merchant Key Underwood buried his trusty coon dog Old Troop in a part of the Freedom Hills Wildlife Management area known then as Sugar Camp. In the years that followed, other coon dog owners began to follow…

IMG_5608.jpg
To reach Glendale Cemetery from Muscle Shoals, head south on Wilson Dam Road, then turn right onto Old Highway 20 and drive for about 3 miles. The cemetery is on the left, just past Gnat Pond Road.

IMG_5556.jpg
Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery was mapped and designated as a burial ground in General John Coffee's 1817 survey "Plan of a Town at Coldwater Spring," and the cemetery's oldest burial dates from 1821. Hundreds of military veterans are buried in…

IMG_5602.jpg
Winston Cemetery, at the corner of SW 14th Avenue and SW 7th Street in Sheffield, sits on land purchased from the United States government by Andrew Jackson, who subsequently gifted it to Col. Anthony Winston. The property was later incorporated into…

IMG_5634.jpg
The Jackson Cemetery was established in 1918 by Alex Jackson as a burial place for his adoptive family. Vinson Perkins, the grandson of Jackson's adoptive parents, was caretaker of the cemetery from 1978 until his death in 2006.

To reach the…

0757.JPG
LaGrange Cemetery in Colbert County is located on the site of Alabama's first college, which was established by charter in 1830, and served as a military academy in the years leading up to the Civil War. In 1854, most of the LaGrange College faculty…

IMG_5437.jpg
To reach the Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery from AL-157 in Muscle Shoals, head east on 2nd Street/AL-184 and after 6 miles, turn right onto County Line Road. The church and cemetery are on the left.

This two story commercial building is located at 356 Gunter Ave in downtown Guntersville, AL. Built in 1940, the building faces east and features a flat roof with a flat facade parapet. It was remodeled around 1990, at which time aluminum…

This commercial building in historic downtown Guntersville, AL was built in 1955. It is of masonry construction, with two aluminum storefront window systems, each containing its own door with transom. The roof is flat and features a flat parapet at…

Built in 1925, this one-story commercial building is of masonry construction and features a flat roof with a flat parapet at the facade. It has two unequal-length storefront systems that were added in 1965. The south system features a recessed…

This two story masonry commercial building was constructed in 1940. It has a flat roof concealed by a flat parapet at the facade. The modern aluminum storefront system with pent awning was added in 1975. A distinguishing feature of this building is…

This two story masonry building was constructed in 1925. The modern aluminum-framed storefront system and pent awning was added in 1975. The building has a flat roof concealed by a flat parapet on the facade. The upper facade feature 7 four-over-one…

004 hare.jpg
This image is a watercolor painting of the residence of Dean Hare in Auburn, Alabama by Thomas H. Brugh sometime between 1917 and 1942. The painting shows the front exterior of the home with its double doors, windows, shutters, columned porch, steps,…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2