Locust Dell Academy
African American History; Florence, AL; Lauderdale County, AL
Locust Dell Academy was established by Nicholas Hentz and his wife Caroline in the 1840s. The school for girls was built by two slaves, Charles Gray and Washington Farris, who had been "rented out" by their masters. The school was absorbed by Florence Female College in 1855. Willingham Hall now sits on its site.
Ashley Pentecost, University of North Alabama
Elizabeth McDonald, "History of Florence City Schools." University of North Alabama archives
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey