Education; Lee County, AL; Botsford School; Farmville, AL; Earnest, Margaret; Reeder, Elizabeth; Lee County Board of Education
Founded in 1923 near the intersection of Highway 280 and Lee County Road 147, pot-bellied stoves heated this three-room school. This facility, located near the Farmville community, served students from the first to the seventh grades. Former student Margaret Earnest reminiscences revealed that Elizabeth Reeder, one of Botsford’s teachers, boarded with her family. In the 1950s, the County Board of Education closed the school. Today the facility is still used as a polling place and the site of community events like pot-luck suppers.
Text Source: The Heritage of Lee County Book Committee, The Heritage of Lee County, Alabama (Clanton, AL: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2000), 68.
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey