Opelika Baptist Female College
Education; Lee County, AL; Opelika Baptist Female College; Opelika, AL; Opelika Baptist Church; Langham, J.J.
Opelika Baptist Church established a school in 1873. Local members of the denomination opened the Baptist Female College inside Opelika Baptist Church and named Professor J.J. Langham as principal. It later moved to a new two-story brick building located on the corner of North Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue. The Baptist Female College only operated for two years, but the school building owners later leased and eventually sold the property to the public school system. No two-story brick building stands at any of the modern-day four corners at North Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue. Three corners sport private residences, and the fourth contains a vacant, elevated, well-maintained grass lot.
Text Source: Alexander Nunn, Lee County and Her Forebears (Montgomery, AL: Herff Jones, 1983), 35.
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey