First Baptist Church of Tuscumbia
Colbert County, Alabama; Tuscumbia, Alabama; Churches; African American Church; African American History
The First Baptist Church of Tuscumbia was originally formed by a small group of African American worshipers. The church was established in 1866 shortly after the Civil War under the guidance of Elder W.E. Northcross. The church members did not have an official church building to meet at so they were forced to constantly relocate their meetings. The members of the church were able to eventually buy property on Eleventh and High Streets. The building the congregation built would also serve as the site of a school for African American youth. The building, which was made of brick, was completed in 1892. Membership in the church grew so rapidly that the First Baptist Church in Tuscumbia became the largest congregation of African Americans in Colbert County.
Sam Keiser, University of North Alabama
Colbert County Heritage Book Committee (Colbert County, Ala.). 1999. The Heritage of Colbert County, Alabama. Clanton, AL: Heritage Pub. Consultants. 35-37
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey
December 1, 2015