St. Paul African Methodist Church
Colbert County, Alabama; Tuscumbia, Alabama; St. Paul African Methodist Church; African American History; African American church
St. Paul African Methodist Church was established in the early 1840s. A group of African Americans from a congregation called First Methodist left to form what is now known as the St. Paul African American Methodist Church. The original name of the group was Church Springs. The first iteration of the church was located in an old cowshed located near South Street. A pastor named Robin Lightfoot, who would later die during the Civil War, led this church. The church was later established as the St. Paul African Church in 1879. The congregation would later be relocated to in 1895 before relocating again in 1968 to Court and Alabama Streets.
Sam Keiser, University of North Alabama
Curott, David. Colbert & Lauderdale County History Written on Signs of the Past. Bluewater Publishing, 2011. 158
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey
December 1, 2015