Lesley Temple CME Church
Colbert County, Alabama; Tuscumbia, Alabama; African American Church; Lesley Temple CME Church; African American History
Lesley Temple CME church is a Methodist church first formed in 1880 under Pastor Lesley. The church was first located at a site called Gin Hill on what used to be Highway 43. The church was rebuilt in 1927. Because building paper which was placed on the outside of the building the church garnered the nickname “Black Paper Church.” The church is now located on High Street in Tuscumbia, Alabama. As of 2015, the church will be celebrating its 135th anniversary.
Sam Keiser, University of North Alabama
McWilliams, John L. Tuscumbia. Charleston, S.C., South Carolina: Arcadia Pub. 2012. 39
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey
November 30, 2015