Marvyn, AL; Lee County, AL; Greek Revival Style; New Deal; Agriculture
Built in the 1840s by Richard Buchanan, this Greek Revival home and property provides a history of agriculture in Lee County. It served as a plantation in the antebellum period and as a tenant farm in the early 20th century. In 1937 J.W. Clegg applied for a farm loan under the New Deal Bankhead-Jones Act of 1937 to purchase the property. He was the first farmer from the local area to apply, and second to receive funds from this legislation. The house, located at 23385 U.S. Highway 80, was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1996.
Text: Lee County Heritage Book Committee, The Heritage of Lee County (Clanton, AL: Heritage Publishing Consultants: 2000), 16.
Alabama Cultural Resource Survey