Walker County, Dora, Cemetery, Louisa Hoover
Davis Cemetery was the first cemetery in East Walker County. It is located behind where the Old White Church (Dora Second Baptist) now stands. The gravestones in this cemetery date back to the earliest settlers. In 1888, Louisa Hoover, wife of Daniel Davis, decided to build a church for the minders who moved into the area after 1886 when the railroads were built. Louisa Hoover gave the land and built the church on her own. The church became known as the “White Church” because of the color it was painted. Methodist, Nazarenes, and Baptists have worshipped at the church.
Makayla Melvin; MSM0041@auburn.edu