Browse Items (1388 total)

Rosa_Parks_bus.jpg
This is the bus Rosa Parks was riding when she was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama on December 1, 1955. At the time, Jim Crow laws in Alabama demanded that seating on buses be racially segregated. Ms.…

rrb.jpg
The Railroad Bridge is a part of the TVA Nature Loop. The TVA Nature Loop is a 2.5 mile loop trail on TVA protected land. Overall, there are roughly 11 miles of footpaths in the area. The loop is around a section of the TVA reservation. The path is…

McD_11_69.jpg
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a public works relief program set up as a part of the New Deal Program. The last Company of men sent to the Muscle Shoals area in 1936 was the 4499 company. These men originally worked under the United States…

McD_11_69.jpg
The Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, was created by President Roosevelt as part of the New Deal. The main goals of the CCC was to reduce fire hazards, control disease, repair railroads, and prevent erosion. A CCC company located in the Muscle…

Tags: ,

canecreek1.jpg
Cane Creek is a privately owned nature preserve cooperating with the Nature Conservancy of Alabama. This is a 9.1 mile out and back hiking trail near Tuscumbia. The main feature of the trail is the waterfall. The trail has a moderate hiking rating…

USACE_Wilson_Lock_and_Dam.jpg
Wilson Dam Lake was created from the damming of the Tennessee River by the construction of the Wilson Dam. The lake's normal elevation is 505 feet. The average depth is 97 feet. The distance of the backwater upstream is 17 miles and the area of the…

Postcards080.jpg
The powerhouse controls Wilson Dam. The building is connected parallel to the dam on the south side. It houses the generating machinery for producing electricity from the dammed water. It also controls the overflow water flowing out of Wilson lake.…

Postcards078.jpg
The first canal built in the Muscle Shoals was built by the state of Alabama, assisted by the United States government, between 1831-1836. To fund the canal the US Congress gave the state 400,000 acres of public land to sell. The proceeds were used…

Postcards082.jpg
The Tennessee Valley is filled with minerals, including the materials needed to produce nitrates. Nitrates can be used for many things, most importantly for TVA to help add nutrients to fertilizer. This helped  to increase crop production. Another…

McD_10_13.jpg
The Tennessee Valley is filled with minerals, including the materials needed to produce nitrates. Nitrates can be used for many things, most importantly for TVA to help add nutrients to fertilizer. This helped  to increase crop production. Another…

McD_10_36B.jpg
The Tennessee Valley is filled with minerals, including the materials needed to produce nitrates. Nitrates can be used for many things, most importantly for TVA to help add nutrients to fertilizer. This helped  to increase crop production. Another…

rockpile.jpg
The Rockpile TVA trail is a 2.7 mile in and out hiking trail that follows the Tennessee River. It is possible for the hike to reach 6 miles by exploring the area. This is an easily followed trail and is well marked along the paths. There is a large…

tvatrail.jpg
The TVA Nature Loop is a 2.5 mile loop trail on TVA protected land. Overall, there are roughly 11 miles of footpaths in the area. The loop is around a section of the TVA reservation. The path is well paved and taken care of. People with disabilities…

The North Alabama Birding Trail consists of fifty birding sites across the northern part of the state. There are currently 397 species known to have been seen along the trail. The fifty sites were carefully selected by a group of biologists, bird…

Postcards078.jpg
The Muscle Shoals is a section of the Tennessee River in North Alabama. This is the shoals that gives the surrounding area its name. The section on the river totals 37 miles in length. This was once an impassable barrier along the river. It made…

Spring Park is in downtown Tuscumbia. The main feature of the park is the spring and waterfall. The waterfall is made of natural limestone rocks. An fountain show is put on during certain times of the year. The area is often used for festivals and…

nzt.jpg
The Nathchez Trace was once a path used by Native Americans in the region, including the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians. It was a popular path for pioneers and settlers to take as well. Once there was better navigation on the river, with the invention…

McD_10_34B.jpg
The Tennessee Valley is filled with minerals, including the materials needed to produce nitrates. Nitrates can be used for many things, most importantly for TVA to help add nutrients to fertilizer. This helped  to increase crop production. Another…

Freedom Hills is a 34,500 acre wildlife area. It borders the Natchez Trace and Cherokee, Alabama. The main attraction to the area is the abundant hunting available in the area and the outside shooting range. The shooting range is open to the public…

Gattman Park is maintained by the Muscle Shoals Parks and Recreation Department. The park has access to both indoor and outdoor activities. There are two gym facilities, one with a rubber floor walking track. The other gym also has meeting rooms…

The Big Muscle Shoals is a section of the Tennessee River in North Alabama. This is the main shoals that gives the surrounding area its name, there is also the Little Muscle Shoals. The section on the river totals 37 miles in length. This was once an…

Pickwick Reservoir is a lake created by the Pickwick Dam in Tennessee. Construction of the dam began in 1934. The dam, and resulting lake, were completed in 1938. The reservoir falls under the jurisdiction of the TVA. It extends for 53 miles from…

This campground and park is located on the site of where George Colbert once operated a ferry for crossing the Tennessee River. He also operated a small inn for the travelers on the Natchez Trace. George Colbert supposedly took Andrew Jackson's…

Rock Spring Nature Trail goes from Colbert Creek to Rock Springs. It is about a 20 minute walk. The trail is off of the Natchez Trace Parkway. The trail is a popular birding destination in the area. Birders mainly look for hummingbirds who are…

Rose Trail is a RV and campground located on Pickwick lake and reservoir. Pickwick Reservoir is a lake created by the Pickwick Dam in Tennessee. Construction began in 1934. The lake is under the jurisdiction of the TVA. It extends for 53 miles from…

The Robert Trent Golf trail is a collection of golf courses across Northern Alabama.The head of the Retirement Systems of Alabama, Dr. David Bronner wanted to help the state of Alabama develop resources to support retired state workers. He decided to…

Postcards091.jpg
Big Spring was once a popular baptizing place for people in the area. It often flooded and was home to many grazing animals. Many pictures exist of the spring before it was controlled. The site is now used for hosting festivals for the city of…

McD_10_16.jpg
Once the TVA was formed during the New Deal, men were needed to work on building Wilson Dam and to work in the Nitrate Factory No. 2. Many of these men were a part of the Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC. Many of the original workers were being…

The main goal of the TVA was to produce fertilizer to help the Tennessee Valley residents improve their soil. The fertilizer was made in Nitrate Plant No. 2 in Colbert County. By having a steady source of fertilizer the TVA was able to start…

Albert G Henry, Jr., a prominent merchant and millionaire in Alabama, built the Queen Anne style house circa 1890. The home is a two story building with a shingle roof and an irregular floorplan. The house has wood siding, painted in varying shades…

The Guntersville City Hall was built in 1965 in the Post War Modern style. The one-story building is constructed with brick and masonry. It has a gable on hipped shingle roof. The foundation of the building is not a visible feature. Overall, the…

This is a department store built circa 1905. It was remodeled in 1965 with aluminum display windows and corrugated metal on the facade. It is built in the Folk Victorian style. It has a flat stepped roof. It has a brick foundation.

The building…

This commercial building was built circa 1915. It is a one-story Folk Victorian style building with a flat roof. The building is constructed with brick and masonry. The building has a recessed entrance with the storefront covered in corrugated metal,…

The original building was constructed circa 1935. It was altered in 1970 by the addition of four aluminum windows to the second story. It has two stories and is in the Early 20th Century Commercial style. It sits on a brick foundation and has walls…

382 Gunter.JPG
Two story masonry two-part commercial block form building with a flat roof concealed by a flat parapet at its facade; faces east, abuts adjacent buildings to either side; two modern aluminum-framed storefront systems (ca. 1965) with a continuous…

384 Gunter Ave.JPG
Two story masonry two-part commercial block form building with a flat roof concealed by a flat parapet at its facade; faces east, abuts adjacent buildings to either side; modern aluminum-framed storefront system (ca. 1970) with a continuous pent…

390 Gunter Ave.JPG
Two story masonry two-part commercial block form building with a flat roof concealed by a flat parapet at its facade; faces east, abuts an adjacent buildings to the north and an open lot to the south; 2 modern aluminum-framed storefront systems…

Taylor Street.JPG
One story masonry one-part commercial block form building with a flat roof concealed by a modern shed canopy (ca. 1990) at its facade; faces south, freestanding; 2 aluminum-framed storefront systems; exposed brick veneer at facade, exposed brick set…

372 Gunter Ave Rear.JPG
Modern one story concrete block building with a side gable composition shingle roof

RG457_020.pdf
This image is a watercolor painting of the Dearing Place (also known as the Dearing House or the Dearing-Swaim House or Spence House) in Tuscaloosa, Alabama done by W.N. Chambers in 1934. The house was built in 1837. The painting shows the front…

ctamaptrain.gif
Chicago Transit Authority local rail transit map showing stops and connections between lines including downtown inset.

Untitled.png
Kilby Laboratory School was founded in 1922 as a part of Florence State Normal School. The school originally occupied what is now the University Of North Alabama Mathematics Building. Classes were conducted in this location until the fall of 1964…

IMG_3380.jpg
The Wilson Dam Replica is located on the corner of Mobile and Seminary Streets in front of Legends Steakhouse in downtown Florence, Alabama. The replica dam is engraved with each name of the quad cities: Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, and…

IMG_3374.jpg
The City of Florence Walk of Honor is located next to the Marriott hotel in River Heritage Park. The city of Florence designed the Walk of Honor to recognize residents of Lauderdale County who had/have found success at the national or international…

1.png
This is the burial place of Lillian Cook Deibert. Lillian and her husband Kirk owned Rolling Acres Stock Farm. In 1991 their barn burned down, killing 27 of Lillian's beloved horses. She is buried at this spot located in Deibert Park right next to…

toms-wall.jpg
This wall is known by two names: Tom Hendrix's Wall and the Wichahpi Commemorative Wall. Tom Hendrix started this wall in the 1980's after learning of his great-great grandmother's journey during the Trail of Tears. Te-lah-nay was forced to walk to…

MaudLindsayKinder_McD12-08.jpg
After leaving her job as a music teacher at a private kindergarten in Tuscumbia, Maud McKnight Lindsay started the first free kindergarten in the state of Alabama in 1898. She taught children from the cotton mill district in East Florence. The…

Memorial Amphitheater_UA-A6.jpg
The WWI Memorial Amphitheater on the University of North Alabama's campus is a common gathering place of students. In 1919, Mrs. Susan J, Price, a professor in the department of geography, recognized the need for a formal stage and a memorial to the…

Locust Dell Academy.jpg
Locust Dell Academy operated in Florence from 1834 to 1843. The all-girls school was owned and operated by Nicholas Marcellus Hentz and his wife Caroline Lee Hentz. Subjects taught included reading, math, composition, and painting. The name Locust…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2