Browse Items (1388 total)

STH71036.JPG
When the Zion First Missionary Church was sold to the African American congregation, the land next to the building found use as a cemetery for the African American congregation. As such, the cemetery is strictly filled with only African American…

IMG_4087.JPG
Zion Church used to be an white Baptist church prior to the Civil War. During the war, the church was used as a hospital by Union troops. After the Civil War, the white parishioners no longer wanted to use the church as it had become defiled. Because…

ZPMorrison.jpg
Zebulon Pike Morrison was born in Lexington, Virginia in 1818. He and his wife Bridget had nine children. He was the sixteenth Mayor of Florence, and served in that capacity from 1880-1890. Morrison was also an alderman for the city of Florence…

Memorial Amphitheater_UA-A6.jpg
The WWI Memorial Amphitheater on the University of North Alabama's campus is a common gathering place of students. In 1919, Mrs. Susan J, Price, a professor in the department of geography, recognized the need for a formal stage and a memorial to the…

Advertisement for Wright and Rice Foundry.jpg
The Wright and Rice Foundry was located where the Mars Hill Church of Christ is located on Cox Creek. The foundry was built in 1835 by Williams Johnson but was sold to James Wright and William Rice. The foundry produced steam engines, mill saws,…

Knoxville_Sentinel_Thu__Nov_17__1921_.jpg
Knoxville Sentinel, November 17, 1921

The_Charlotte_News_Wed__Sep_24__1947_.jpg
Advertisement appeared in Charlotte News (North Carolina) on September 24, 1947. "Jim Crockett your sports promoter since 1933."

WQLT Elvis.jpg
The generator for WQLT Radio station, which is owned by Big River Broadcasting - founded by Sam Phillips and now under the management of his sons and grandchildren -- is, whimsically perhaps, painted gold and named Elvis for Elvis Presley, who Sam…

Wood Avenue Church of Christ is one of the oldest Churches of Christ in Lauderdale County. The Church of Christ denomination emerged out of the American Restoration Movement, a movement to reestablish America’s Christianity on the teachings of the…

WLAY1.png
WLAY-AM (1450 -AM) was one of the first broadcast radio stations in the Shoals. Licensed in 1933 (as WNRA), the station stopped broadcasting in 2014.

The station's original broadcast was a variety format featuring gospel, country, and "race music"…

Wittel Dormitory.jpg
Located at 205 South Gay Street, Wittel Dormitory represents an example of the colonial revival architectural style. Built in the early 1900s as the private residence of Samuel S. Wittel, the building first served as a boarding facility for…

IMG_5602.jpg
Winston Cemetery, at the corner of SW 14th Avenue and SW 7th Street in Sheffield, sits on land purchased from the United States government by Andrew Jackson, who subsequently gifted it to Col. Anthony Winston. The property was later incorporated into…

240821590_108148221592143_9022505224086789628_n.jpg
Possible identification.
Worked as a nurse.

This historic marker is located at the intersection of County Route 14 and County Route 2, Waterloo, Alabama.

The text on the marker reads: "At this site from mid-January to mid-March 1865, Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the…

General Wilson.jpg
Gravely Springs near Oakland in Lauderdale County was the site of Union General James H. Wilson’s headquarters and camp in the winter of 1865. The final Union raid into Alabama was staged in this camp in the early spring of 1865. In January of…

Wilson Park Houses - Omeka 12 - PH.pdf
The National Register nomination covers three houses facing Wilson Park, the only remaining houses from what was once a prominent Florence neighborhood. The houses were built between 1890 and 1918 and represent typical upper middle class residential…

Wilson Park.jpg
Wilson Park was designated as a public walk by Ferdinand Sannoner in his original plan for Florence in 1818. It is a one square block with an area of 2.5 acres. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from…

IMG_3380.jpg
The Wilson Dam Replica is located on the corner of Mobile and Seminary Streets in front of Legends Steakhouse in downtown Florence, Alabama. The replica dam is engraved with each name of the quad cities: Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, and…

USACE_Wilson_Lock_and_Dam.jpg
Wilson Dam Lake was created from the damming of the Tennessee River by the construction of the Wilson Dam. The lake's normal elevation is 505 feet. The average depth is 97 feet. The distance of the backwater upstream is 17 miles and the area of the…

Roosevelt vistis Florence.jpg
Wilson Dam is a gravity dam spanning the Tennessee River between Lauderdale and Colbert counties in the quad cities area. The dam was originally constructed by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1918 and 1924. The project was envisioned as a part…

Willingham003.jpg
The site of Willingham Hall, which is located on the University of North Alabama’s campus in Florence, Alabama, and Willingham Hall (One Harrison Plaza) itself have many stories to tell. Willingham Hall is located on the site of what was once…

240699206_105432375197061_6693898816812246502_n (1).jpg
SNCC. Address listed as Princeton, New Jersey. Princeton Freedom Center. Selma, Alabama, native.
Hudson High School, Class of 1965

Foot Soldier Willie Carlyle 2 for web.jpg
"ABC Wednesday is celebrating the letter H this week, and Willie Carlyle is a Selma native who moved up north at the age of 19, but his HEART was HERE, and he came HOME to retire.
I was taking pictures of renovations at the Old Depot Museum…

To reach the William’s Chapel Cemetery, from Waterloo, Alabama, travel east on County Rd. # 14 for about ½ mile. Turn left (north) onto County Road. 1. Go about 7 miles and the cemetery is on the left behind the church. Williams Chapel Cemetery…

IMG_5573.jpg
Tuscumbia merchant Clark T. Barton began building what would become the William Winston House around 1835. Several years later, in 1840, planter Winston purchased the still-unfinished house and oversaw its completion. The house remained in the…

William Lowndes Yancey
Before the outbreak of the Civil War, Yancey was a fiery orator and politician who ardently defended slavery and secession. Representing Chambers County during the Alabama secession convention, he voted for the state to leave the Union and during the…

William McDonald.jpg
Florence, Alabama’s first official City Historian was William Lindsey McDonald, a man who did much to research, preserve, and promote local history. Born in 1927, Mr. McDonald served in the U.S. Army for thirty-eight years before retiring with the…

goldenwl.jpg
William Lee Golden

Golden was raised in a farming family in Brewton, Alabama. At age seven he began singing and performing regularly on his grandfather’s weekly radio show, along with his sister. From this experience, Golden grew to love…

dawsonwl.jpg
William L. Dawson (September 26, 1899-May 4, 1990)

William Levi Dawson was an African American composer, performer, and music educator from Anniston, Alabama.

Dawson graduated from the Tuskegee Institute with highest honors in 1921. He earned a…

National Register of Historic Places property - William Kroger House - south side of Smithsonia – Rhodesville Road about 4 miles northeast of Smithsonia

The actual construction date of the William Kroger House is unknown but stylistic details…

WilliamJSamford.jpg
When the East Alabama Male College opened its doors in 1859, William James Samford was one of the first eighty students to enroll. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Samford enlisted as a private in the Confederate Army where he was soon promoted…

GXUQ_Samford1_DL.jpg
Erected in 1888 on the foundation of Old Main Hall (which burned down in 1887), William J. Samford Hall is one of Auburn University’s most easily recognizable buildings. Bruce and Morgan Architectural Firm fashioned the four-story Italianate-style…

Bowen House - Omeka 7 Lustron - PH.pdf
The William Bowen House at 1145 Wildwood Park Road was built in 1949 and nominated to the National Register for its significance to architecture. The one story two bedroom Lustron House is a metal prefabricated house clad in enameled steel in two…

WBWood.jpg
William Basil Wood was born on October 31, 1820. Wood was a LaGrange College graduate, and practiced law in Florence before the Civil War. Wood served as a colonel of the 16th Alabama Infantry Regiment and was recommended for promotion to brigadier…

In the early 1830s, William Barnard, a mixed-race Creek Indian, built a log cabin on 640 acres of land in what is now western Lee County. Barnard was an influential leader of the Creeks in western Georgia and served under U.S. militia general John…

William B. Bankhead National Forest is located in Lawrence and Winston Counties. The forest offers 180,000 acres of land for people to hike, horseback ride, and kayak.

Visitor information can be obtained at the Warrior Mountain Trading Co. in…

RG457_018.pdf
This image is a watercolor painting of the William A. Dawson House, also known as the Dawson-Wilson House, in Spring Hill, Alabama done by Martin Lide, Jr. sometime between 1917 and 1942. The house was built in 1834. The painting shows the front…

toms-wall.jpg
This wall is known by two names: Tom Hendrix's Wall and the Wichahpi Commemorative Wall. Tom Hendrix started this wall in the 1980's after learning of his great-great grandmother's journey during the Trail of Tears. Te-lah-nay was forced to walk to…

Whitten Cemetery is located in western Lauderdale County, Alabama area north of Waterloo. To reach the Whitten Cemetery, travel on Lauderdale County Road 14 to Waterloo. Continue to follow County Rd. 14 turning right. Continue on 1.07 miles and turn…

Wheeler Plantation, or Ponds Spring, was the residence of General Joseph Wheeler from 1866 to 1906. Wheeler was a West Point graduate, a leader of the Confederate Calvary, a U.S. Congressman, and a Spanish-American War hero. Among the historic…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2